Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Blog set 12 Lessons Learned

In the story, “The Premature Burial” by Edgar Allan Poe, shows insight into what the narrator is infatuated with due to his near death experiences and his medical condition, catalepsy. Speaking of these premature burials and trying to understand what was the feeling these unfortunate souls endured because they were presumed dead is horrifying.  These incidents must have been a serious issue in the medical field in the 1800’s. The narrator became so fixated into being prepared if he was ever buried alive in his family tomb that he went to the extremes to make sure he would be able to open the vault doors from the inside. Imagine having to live in constant fear of being buried alive is no way of living at all especially for the narrator and his medical condition. He makes sure that his loved ones know of his condition and all that they must do.  One of the quotes from the story that stayed with me was “There are moments when, even to the sober eye of Reason, the world of our sad Humanity may assume the semblance of a hell”. What do you all think the narrator was speaking of in this quote? 


The author of “The Monkey’s Paw” W.W. Jacobs, did a good job in keeping me intrigued about what would happen next every time I turned the pages of the story. This would be a typical feature in a horror film, a magical monkey paw that came make all your wishes come true, but with consequences of course. The family should have listened to the Sergeant about his warnings and they would have not been in the predicament that they were in towards the end. It is how the saying goes for curious people, “curiosity kills”, and indeed in the story, it did kill someone and it was tragic. It seems that towards the end I am assuming the father wished his son dead again since the mother opens the door and no one was there, or did I assume wrong?

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't imagine living in the 1800's and knowing that they had to put bells on top of coffins just in case. I think catalepsy affected many lives because they weren't even alive. Could you even imagine waking up and just seeing darkness? I couldn't even picture it. If I did live in the 1800's I would of also got prepared like the narrator did. It happened so often that I would do the same process like put water, food , and an air vent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alexandre, if I was prone to trance like episodes that could be triggered at random times or by random things I wouldn't be able to shake the fear of being buried alive. The narrator was over cautious but isn't it better to be safe than sorry? haha His ideas or steps taken to prevent the horrifying reality of being buried alive were well thought out and I have to applaud him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You assumed correctly about Mr. White wishing his son back dead or away. I absolutely love the story "The Monkey's Paw." I wished they would've heeded the their warning; but if they listened, there wouldn't have been a story, right? IN the "Premature Burial" the only reason it freaks me out is because to be alive and know no one is going to save and you're just going to suffocate to death is probably the most horrid feeling ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You assumed correctly about Mr. White wishing his son back dead or away. I absolutely love the story "The Monkey's Paw." I wished they would've heeded the their warning; but if they listened, there wouldn't have been a story, right? IN the "Premature Burial" the only reason it freaks me out is because to be alive and know no one is going to save and you're just going to suffocate to death is probably the most horrid feeling ever.

    ReplyDelete